Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Little Unnatural is sometimes just the way to go.


Pictured above is somewhat unnatural. That is my uncle. He's...I think he's now 63 or 64. And he's standing on his head. It all started with Reese, who discovered he can stand on his head against a wall. The whole adventure descended from there. Notice the faces you can see in this picture. Hilarious.

So I finished the first incarnation...or rather, the second incarnation of my honours paper. That was just the first incarnation as an actual honours paper. And I handed it in. And sent emails to explain my strange actions, and actually got an answer. It's now out of my hands, until they get back to me with the revisions. And I do have to admit, I'm a little relieved, but also disappointed that I seem more intent on watching a documentary about scaling Everest than getting a good start on my English term paper. Or my Semantics presentation. Or my mini language lesson presentation. Or my semantics term paper. Or even my Latin assignment and studying. I've done very little at all today really.

Well, I did get my grad pics done, which was entertaining, since the photographer was an old friend from the home town. I recommend that system, less stressful than having a stranger tell you to fix your hair and tilt your head. Then to Child and Youth for an appointment to talk about parenting. It's a good thing I think, any kind of help is good in this game. Then went for drinks and food with Christy, which was fun, and girly, and gossipy. And then she talked about going out at night...and I heard the most truthful words coming out of my mouth: "Nope, I don't think I need to go out at night. We can go for coffee, but when I go out at night I come home with new boyfriends, and I just got rid of one. I don't want another. That's the last thing I need. I think I'm gonna get some cats. A lot of cats."

And just how true is this? I began to think...cause I have been thinking about the prospects. You meet new people, you think about new relationships and the like, and I realized I have not been single...for a good long while. It's scary. And free. And a good thing I think. But not having someone around, it's like quitting a bad habit. And it's taking some time and some effort. My table friend in English made comments today about Fern in Charlotte's web, and how it wasn't believeable or admirable that at the age of 9, she was worried about boys. And she's so right, but I guess I would never have thought about it that way. The feminist thing? I'm not sure. Something about it was lost on me. I understand it. I get it. I've just never been strong enough to stand alone for any amount of time. And I couldn't help thinking she was amazing. What an amazing strong girl, that at her age, she could stand up and say she had no use for this kind of drivel. A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle. And what a conundrum I am. I always thought I was strong, I mean, Christ, I can drive semi-trucks, and build a house, change a flat and my own oil...but maybe all that's just compensation for the fact that I have lived my life with a parade of the wrong type of guys marching through, one after another...and for what. I have a son. That's the main thing I have to show for it that isn't negative. Unnatural. That's what it has been. And now, being single feels a little unnatural to me. But maybe a little unnatural is the best thing for it.

No comments: