Saturday, September 06, 2008

Go your own way...as long as you follow...

So it's been a while since I've been on here to any great degree. And some stuff has happened since the last post. Our trip to the Mac proved to be way more of an adventure than any of us had bargained for...and also pretty confusing for me. But that's another story altogether, and since I'm not even sure now what's all going on, I may just save that for another post, for another day.

So the whole drama about picking up the truck is in the previous post. And that's all fine and good, it's all sort of worked out. But then the trip to the Mac was some kind of adventure. We left after work on Friday, which was not a good idea, but was really the only option. We needed to get up there...so leaving the city at 6 pm when I was already kinda tired from my latest bout with insomnia? All good. I took Red Bull, which is something for me cause I don't usually consume that kind of crap. I'm a straight caffeine type of girl. We got up there...the road was long and dark and rainy and full of deer. There were accidents and incidents. None of which involved us directly, and we made it to the Mac at around 6:30 am, collapsed into B's boyfriend's bed, had a brief fit of the giggles from being so punch drunk, and slept for a couple hours.

Saturday was a write off of course, since we were both too tired to accomplish much. B went out and did her thing in the Mac, went to sort out stuff that needed to be sorted, and I stayed at the house and had a nap. We finally went for lunch around 4 pm...and since we were both so out of it, could barely eat, but managed to choke down some curried beef concoction, and a glass of red wine. The beginning of the end. B managed two bellinis with supper, so of course I was driving after that. Next we decided had to go load up the truck at her condo with all the stuff we came up to get. Her renters are the cutest bunch I've ever seen, and they totally accepted us coming in, asking them to move their cars and even helped us load up the truck. They were awesome. We were sleep deprived and weird. From here: to Canadian Tire to get a tarp and some bungee cords, cause we weren't sure, but it looked like rain overnight. We found the best tarp ever: it was camo. To go with our borrowed redneck big-ass truck, with big ass tires and piles of clearance lights. It was perfect.

Then it was to the liquor store, to stock up cause we're SK girls and AB booze is cheap and plentiful, and then home. We were going to try and go out to a pub or a bar...we were going to try and go out in a boat...we ended up sitting at home, drinking moderate amounts of booze, completely amused by ourselves, B's boyfriend's roommate and a phenomenon called "Youtube Party." If you haven't experienced it, I highly recommend it. It was amusing. The night ended with dancing and at that point we all probably realized we were not functioning on any kind of human level so it was time to be done with consciousness...roommate had to work in the morning, and B and I had to drive back to SK with little G, her daughter in the loaded pickup.

The next day seemed pretty uneventful. Reloaded the truck, grabbed some last minute stuff, tried to get a coffee, but the Starbucks was broken....what the eff? That set the tone for the day.

We were a little bit late to get little G, but arrived alright. Got everything loaded up and there was some drama with little G's dad cause of...well, everything, but we managed to get on the road in a reasonable fashion and we were off. Things were going well. Little G was telling us when she had to pee, and just like a farm girl, peeing on the side of the road. She's a trooper. Then I smelled smoke. A lot of smoke. Electrical smoke. Bad bad bad.

Calm voice: "B, when we get to the top of this hill, I'm going to pull the truck over as far off the road as we can get. I want you to calmly and quickly get little G out of her carseat, out of the truck, and as far from it as possible, as fast as possible okay?"

Okay. B didn't flinch. Dead calm in crisis, and out she popped with little G and off up the hill for a walk. Off went the truck, popped the hood and sure enough...the alternator is smokin...and the bearings are hanging out the back. Dammit. Dammit dammit dammit...Where the hell are we? What was that last sign? Lac La Biche? BF NOWHERE! That's where we are!

I think I'll skip all the details cause this is already getting painfully long, but due to the kindness of strangers, and various strokes of pure luck and manipulations of the cosmos, we ended up delayed in Lac La Biche for only 6 hours. I never cried once. None of us did. We got through it unscathed. I now have a friend for life in Saint Gary the truck driver, who not only rescued us, but also changed our alternator, fixed the rad hose, and topped up all the truck's fluids, all with no promise or intimation of oral sex. Gotta appreciate that in a man. It's rare in my world apparently. It was a tiring trip. I'm left wondering about a lot of things, and about the world and karma and events in general. But for now: I have so much going on it's hard to even bother to think about it. It amuses me and makes a good story. But other than that, I'm so glad B is back in Regina. It's such a relief and a huge bonus to have her here with me. I've missed my bud, and now with the majority of my girlfriend's having left the city, I'm incredibly lucky to have that girl back in my life again.

So for now these are my conclusions:

The universe has a perverse sense of humor, but I really think I might be starting to understand it. Sadly, it's based on complete unpredictability, and so, I will never know what to expect.

My love life is confusing at best, and at it's worst mind boggling. See point above: twisted as fuck.

I'm kinda liking life right now. And due to my current methods of distraction, I have a kick-ass clean house, that I'm loving....loving.

Ta now.

H.

No comments: