Wednesday, April 11, 2007

We're in...writing to Stuart McLean


Alright folks...I'm supposed to be writing my Animal Cognition essay, so I'm going to attempt to be short with this post. The long and short of things that have happened since this time last week? Well, we're in. We are in our new house. And here's Reese, showing off the new emptiness. But most of what I have to say about Thursday last week is this: in a former life I slaughtered innocent puppies for a living and appeared to enjoy it. That's the only conclusion I can come to as to the sheer number of things that have gone wrong on this move. Perhaps if I put it in point form it will be shorter:
-went to pick up the Ford from Maegan's house that had been sitting in her driveway, loaded and tarped, for a week, wedged between her house and the neighbors fence, only to find that it wouldn't start.
-pushed the Ford down the driveway in an attempt to boost it, only to find that it won't take a boost.
-Push the damn Ford down the drive, onto the street, and attempt to park it out of the way. The FULLY LOADED Ford, under human power. Fun. Try to fix it. Confuse Rob's friend by sending him omenous texts about the fate of his truck...some that involved gas cans and fire.
-Go for supper at Burger King...cause you know, the day hadn't been bad enough yet, let's add fast food to the mix.
-Meet JC at Mae's house and ONCE MORE attempt to start the Ford.
-Here is where I start to believe in my former life as a professional puppy kicker...
-Ford won't start. JC's truck, loaded with my stuff that has been in an unknown location for the past week, also comes with a tow strap. Bonus.
-Four way flashers don't work on the Ford.
-Brakes barely work on the Ford.
-The gods are angry and plotting against us: the lights don't change...EVER!!! We're stuck trying to turn left at a red light for over 15 minutes with no change. Um...I'm really sorry about the puppies?
-Make the loop, with the gong show, two loaded trucks and a loaded car going AROUND the Connexus Arts center...that's what passes for a u turn.
-7:30 p.m. Arrive at the new house, three hours late, at EXACTLY the same time as the little boy falls asleep in my backseat...and me, with no soft place to put him.
-Painter...STILL HERE...supposed to be gone at 4:30...(how many puppies exactly warrant this?) Walls are still wet. House smells of paint odors. Ew.
-Unload the chevy in record time since JC must go play floor hockey. Unload Ford. Cry. No truck now. And all important articles of life are still in the Cowboy's house, which is quickly filling up with Easter Party crowd...
-Leave brother with the small boy, now sleeping in his small Reese size armchair in the least paint-fumey corner of the house.
-Go to the Cowboy's...try to recruit drunken acquaintances to move my stuff into a random truck that I intend to steal to run stuff to the new house.
-Get three items loaded...perilously...and put someone of questionable sobriety behind the wheel to get stuff to the house. Throw as much into the car as possible.
-Unload things.
-Find clothing...bedding...give up, curl up with blanket and boy on top of mattress...cry....sleep.

So, the rest of the move has gone...somewhat smoother. Although, I don't know how much worse it could really go. Ended up stealing the Exes truck to load the rest of the stuff over and having small boy play to his heart's content with his favorite Auntie Jill that came down on Friday. He was exstatic to have someone to play with. We got the rest of the stuff loaded. However, I still have yet to return the truck, and apparently he's back in town. Interesting. Oh well. Whatever.

So, that's all for now. Point form huh? Yeah, it still looks like...um...interesting. And when you add this onto the fact that we were already late getting into the house because it was gross, and have yet to actually receive keys to the back door, because the landlord? I have no diplomatic terms to describe, so I will refrain. However, yay for us, we got the internet and THE WHOLE DAMN HOUSE REKEYED YESTERDAY! HA!

Night all, I'm gonna go try and sound...clever....in philosophic form.

No comments: