Saturday, May 19, 2007

Flash...bang.

So today I'm doing laundry, and taking a load out of the dryer, contemplating just how many of Reese's tiny little socks are getting sucked up into this beast with every cycle. That may explain the multitude of singular tiny little socks floating around today. If only his little feet were bigger, or perhaps I need to stop buying him cool spiderman socks and just stick to plain old white ones. That way they're all the same. Either way. I flashed back to thursday...at work, I was tilling in the Swamp, just south of College drive and I heard a roar. I stopped, looked up, just in time to see the Snowbirds fly over in formation. I smiled and continued on. A few minutes later, they flew over going the other way. Cool. Smoke show this time. Flying low, tight formation. Looking good.
Those of you who have read the news today know where this is going. Yesterday, at about 4 pm, just as I was leaving work, one of the Snowbirds went down over Great Falls, Montana. I've also been to Great Falls, late at night, about 10 years ago, on a bus, but that's another story for another day. Today, it's stuck in my mind. I just saw them fly. Today, one of them is gone. Today, someone is going to have to replace him. It's sad. He was only 30, two years older than me. Because of just a few moments in time, I feel connected to this story, and this tragedy. It's only a flash on the newspaper. A brief sadness, that by monday will most likely be forgotten. I think I'll probably think of this each time I see the Snowbirds from now on. It happens fast, doesn't it.

No comments: