Friday, May 25, 2007

Explanations.

I came out to my parents farm again today, even though I had just been out here last Sunday to take advantage of a little extra visiting time with the stat holiday. As I'm rustling around in the basement I was reminded of a little incident that occurred last week that might help some of you understand exactly why I am the way I am.
To trace this back a bit, my mom is a nurse practitioner and works very hard, and very long hours, and struggles not to bring her work home with her. My dad is possibly the most laid back person in the world, but is a farmer, is semi retired, and because of health issues, he does need to take things a bit easy for the most part. Because of this fact, and the fact that BOTH of my parents are notorious pack rats, they have a cleaning lady come in once every week or every other week to tidy up, vacuum, wash the floors etc.
Now this all started because of facebook, and the fact that my 10 year Highschool reunion is coming up this summer, so I was down in the basement bedroom hunting for my old year books. I came across a box of dishes. They appeared to be dirty dishes. I didn't understand. I simply shook my head, figured I must be seeing things or not understanding something and came back upstairs.
Later that evening, my mother says "I'll get these vegetables going, I just have to find the steamer."
"You mean the stainless steel one?" I ask.
"Yes, with the holes in it." Mom...yes...holes in it.
"It's downstairs in a box. I saw it there. I didn't know why it was there."
"Oh that's right. That's your father. He hid a box of dirty dishes down there so Bobby wouldn't see them."

That's right. You heard that. I heard it too.

So, next time you come to my house and the floors aren't all that tidy, there's toys in every corner of every room and some dishes in the sink to do, and I really seem slightly blase, or maybe completely unconcerned by this mess, remember this; I was raised by people that hide dirty dishes from the cleaning lady!

P.S.- HI MOM!! I know you sometimes come on here and read this. Please don't hold it against me, you raised me to be independent, moral and realize that there's more to life than a spotlessly clean kitchen. I'd rather be building a fort with the boy.

No comments: